Sunday, February 01, 2009

G'Day Mate

With talk like that it can only mean one thing, the Kathryn Bay docked at Darwin on the 31st of January, 5 years, 1 month and about 20 days since I left Australia.

The journey over was great it was nice to relax in comfort, listening to Captain Pedro’s stories of sailing the world and eating great food cooked up by Emanuel the cook. We did arrive on the 30th but since we were early the Kathryn Bay had to anchor in Darwin Harbor for 24 hours until it had its turn on the wharf, so for a whole day I could see Darwin city out my window only a short distance away, for once I felt patient, what was one more day after some of the waits I have experienced, besides I already felt home.

So there I was in Darwin, seeing all things Australian, holden utes, drive through bottle shops, empty streets, it was a welcome relief to where I had come from. I went to stay with a Benno, a mate I have not seen in over 10 years, it was off to the pub for a few celebratory drinks and a catch up on old times, joined by another mate from the Mallee, Burnsy, I actually felt foreign in my own country, it felt strange but with three mates in a pub, Robbo, Benno and Burnsy, I could be in only one place in the world, Australia.

So now has begun the tedious task of clearing the stead through Customs and Quaratine, I will have it I hope by Thursday and then it’s the last leg south.

For those of you interested I have set an arrival date of the 28th of February, I will arrive at the farm at 1.30pm after a BBQ lunch so everyone is invited to be there and see the last metres of my journey come to an end, the more the merrier hope to see old and new friends there.